Welcome to the home of the British Red Hatters
Live, Love, Laugh
Or - how to grow old disgracefully...
A few years ago, a lady named Jenny Joseph (07/01/1932-08/01/2018) wrote a poem called “Warning”. This poem starts off with:
“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me”
spurring a whole generation, and more, of women to confront getting older with gusto and not be grey and invisible.
Wherever you go, you may now see ladies around town sporting their purple outfits and their fabulous red hats, taking inspiration from the poem which is about embracing life and fun, rather than being held back by age, and what everyone expects an old lady to be and do.
The idea quickly spread and now there are chapters all over the world - including the UK, Europe, Australia, Canada, as well as the United States.
It is all about fun and friendship and it seems that all ladies just want to have fun.
Red Hatting in the UK
The Red Hat Society began in the United States in 1998 and came to the UK in 2001. There are now over 100 chapters of the www.redhatsociety.com here, so there could be one in your area.
If you are looking to join a chapter, please submit your enquiry through the "Contact Us" page on this website and you will be assisted in your search!
No chapter near you? Why not have a go at starting your own? It really is very easy and you will get so much support from all of us. You will find information about starting and registering your new chapter on the Red Hat Society Official Website http://www.redhatsociety.com/
To be a “RED HATTER” you must be over 50 years of age. “Over fifty and fabulous” that is what we say about ourselves. But that does not mean you cannot join the RED HATTERS if you are under fifty. You may join as a PINK HATTER. They are our Ladies-in-waiting. They dress in lavender or lilac, and wear pink hats. We welcome all ladies to do what we do - “LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH”. That is the motto of the RED HATTERS.
We are ladies with “HATTITUDE”!!! It is so much fun for us to don our purple outfits and red hats and go to lunch, the movies, picnic on the beach, the zoo or just wherever our hearts decide to go and watch people watch us. Nothing makes people smile like a group of ladies in purple and red hats out enjoying themselves. “Look," they laugh and point - "the Red Hatters are out today”. Nothing attracts attention more than a fine red hat!
If you are thinking about becoming a member, don’t hesitate! We welcome new members with open arms. However, there are some things you need to know before becoming a member and these are the “Do’s and Don’ts”.
“THE RED HAT SOCIETY DO’S”
• Do join a chapter if you are looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy life. The women of the RED HAT SOCIETY are known for throwing fabulous parties.
• Do buy (beg, steal or borrow!) a stunning RED HAT and a purple outfit once you are ready to become a RED HATTER. The more elaborate and beautiful the better.
• Do join in the fun if you are under the age of fifty. Join as one of our PINK HATTERS and wear a crazy lavender outfit with a pink hat until you reach the wonderful age of FIFTY.
• Do know that when you join the RED HAT SOCIETY, you will make lasting friendships that you will treasure for a lifetime.
• Do remember each chapter of the RED HAT SOCIETY is free to plan any type of activity that they desire.
“THE RED HAT SOCIETY DON’TS”
• Don’t join a chapter of RED HATTERS if you don’t want to meet new and interesting people.
• Don’t bother becoming a member if you don’t plan on having a lot of fun and trying out new and exciting adventures.
• Don’t bother joining if you don’t want to wear the most gorgeous RED HATS and purple outfits you can possible find.
• Don’t join if you are looking for structure and rules, the rule is to not have any rules, just have fun.
• Don’t miss out on an opportunity to become part of the best group in the world where friendly, caring women come together for fun and friendship. Remember the RED HAT motto:
LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH.
Wanda, Queen Opal, Website Editor